Thursday, 14 June 2007

Day 4 Dover to Cassel (45 km)

After leaving the hostel, which rather forlornly bears a For Sale sign (apparently a replacement is planned, but there will be a gap during which the current staff will all be made redundant) I crossed to Dunkirk (or rather, a place somewhere near Gravelines that Norfolk Lines calls Dunkirk, but I already knew that); after a couple of hours on a mirror-calm sea (the way I like it) it started raining seconds after I got through the bow doors.

It was only a brief shower that time and I headed inland through Boubourg across the polder landscape with a brisk tailwind. Just before Arnèke I stopped at the first of many military cemeteries I was to pass (I have a contractual obligation to do so, you understand); shortly after that the heavens opened properly and it was in a raging thunderstorm - slightly scary in that flat landscape - that I climbed into Cassel - a three-arrow ascent up the highest of the outlying Flemish hills - utterly sodden. I spent an hour sheltering in the Lion des Flandres bar and then, realising that the Tourist Office was still open decided to call it a day, finding a chambre d'hôte run by a local sculptor. I then fell asleep in the bath and woke up too late to find anywhere to eat, which was a bit of a drag.

2 comments:

Biby Cletus said...

Cool blog, i just randomly surfed in, but it sure was worth my time, will be back

Deep Regards from the other side of the Moon

Biby Cletus

Kevin said...

If the rain gets you down, check out this guys blog: http://sandiway.blogspot.com/ He's riding across the US and is just making his way across the deserts of the US southwest and no sign of a Lion des Flandres bar...

A little rain to slow you down might also be a good way (excuse) to get some recovery time but I hope you get some summer sun tomorrow.
Cheers - Kevin